Fake job offers by e-mail.24 De de 2012
Taking advantage of the hard economic times that are hitting many users, criminals are sending out fake job offers by e-mail. In these so-called job offers, users are offered the chance to earn a lot of money easily and without having to dedicate much time to it.
Users who accept one of these supposed e-mail job offers are known as mules. The job involves carrying out transfers through their bank account in exchange for a percentage of the amounts transferred. This is not only an instance of fraud, but in addition, the person becomes an accomplice in the crime of money laundering.
Here are a few details about this kind of fraud:
- The company is usually based abroad and has no local offices.
- The level of Spanish used in the e-mails is poor.
- They use free e-mail accounts.
- The e-mails they send are based on models and are hardly personalised.
- At some point they request money to be sent, giving all kinds of different excuses.
- Tele-working or home working is offered.
- The offer is made by e-mail without any kind of prior selection or recruitment process.
- The e-mails use social engineering, offering the desirable characteristics of a good job.